The Webby Awards, occasionally referred to as the Oscars of the Internet, presents awards for the top creators, websites, apps, advertising and media on the Internet every year.
Each category has two winners – one chosen by a body of industry experts and technology innovators, and the other by the voting public. These winners represent some of the best creators on the Internet today. The Webby Award winners are a great place to look to find some of the best social media influencers for a celebrity marketing campaign. Here are some of the stars you need to know.
1. Tyler Oakley is a YouTube star and author who won the Webby this year for Best Web Personality (Channel). He often talks on topics of pop culture, humor, and LGBT rights on his YouTube channel which currently has over eight million subscribers. His fans love to hear about his personal life and stories, which he talks about in his podcast, Psychobabble, and his bestselling book, Binge.
2. Rhett and Link are an internet comedy duo who won the People’s Voice for Best Web Personality (Channel) for their YouTube talk show, Good Mythical Morning, which boasts over ten million subscribers. They’re well-known for their viral videos, comedic songs, and episode series on topics of food, advice, current events and more. They’ve won Webby Awards in the past for some of their viral videos, including “2 Guys, 600 Pillows” and “Epic Rap Battle: Nerd vs. Geek.”
3. Smosh is a sketch comedy duo consisting of Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla, who’s channel, Smosh Games, was the Webby winner for Best Gaming Channel. The duo is best known for the skits they post on their main Smosh YouTube channel, but they also host nine other related channels. Smosh Games has over six million subscribers and uploads numerous videos a week, featuring Ian and Anthony playing and commenting on various video games alongside other Smosh Games members.
4. VSauce is a YouTube channel created by Internet personality Michael Stevens, which won both the Webby and People’s Voice for Best Science & Education Channel. His channel has over ten million subscribers and features videos on various topics of science, philosophy, technology, culture, and more. The success of this channel has led to the creation of four other channels, including WeSauce, which features work from fans.
5. Rosanna Pansino is a baker and YouTube personality who’s video for Cake Pizza won the People’s Voice for Best How-To and DIY. Her internet baking show, Nerdy Nummies, has six million subscribers and features tutorials on how to make treats that resemble characters and objects from TV shows, video games, books and films. She also likes to invite other YouTube personalities on her show to bake with her.
If you’re considering a digital celebrity for a marketing campaign, the Webby Awards are a great place to look to find some of the best and most popular creators and YouTube channels today.
Photo credit: newscult.com